Saturday, February 2, 2013

Around Dalton

History buffs are gathering at the Northwest Georgia Trade Center again this weekend for the annual Civil War show. I went up this morning with my Uncle Gene and we both parted with a few bucks. He got a great deal on a biography of George Washington while I walked out with three "GI Joe-like" action figures. The sweet thing is they were German soldiers from World War II They were very well detailed and included lots sharp extras like canteens, weapons and other combat gear. Attendance seemed lighter than usual to me for a Saturday, but there was lots of varied items for sale. Plenty of WW II stuff, post cards, period clothing, prints, etc. The show cranks back up on Sunday and its very much worth attending. --- After that we headed to the new antique store near the Cracker Barrel. Gene scored several more very good deals on some old books. There's a lot of cool stuff in that place. I've bought some cool items there before at reasonable prices. Definitely check the store out. --- Toys in the Attic, the cool toy store down town, has closed its doors after six years. My daughter is seven and has been gong to "Toys" since she was 2. She cried when I told her it was closing. I should have. I've bought as much stuff for me there as for her. --- A few doors away The Little Dipper also has turned off the lights for good. The Dipper offered excellent soups and sandwiches as well as good, friendly service. The loss of "Toy" and the "Dipper" really diminishes downtown for my family, though we can still enjoy and patronize The Yellow Bird, The Book Nook, The Fantasy Factory, Tijuanas, The Oakwood and The Sweet Spot.

No comments: