Sunday, February 1, 2009

My Sunday column

The late Steve Goodman teamed with the great John Prine to write a song called “You Never Even Called Me By My Name.” It’s more commonly known as the “The Greatest Country Western Song Ever,” was a huge hit for David Allan Coe and has been sung/mangled by every roadhouse drunk in America.
It is an enormously popular sing-a-long. A sing-a-long is a song that people who can’t sing a lick think they can sing, though they can’t.
I put myself in this category.
Though I cannot sing, I love music. I can’t carry a tune for three seconds, but I know when someone else can.
Now, for the point of this column.
I need your help.
I am attempting to determine the second greatest country song ever.
Second greatest?
No, God bless Goodman and Prine and Coe and all those million of sing-a-long drunks, but the greatest country song ever isn’t that one, despite its title.
The best ever, as everyone who’s ever tapped a toe to Johnny Cash can tell you, is “He Stopped Loving Her Today,” by George Jones. No argument accepted.
The song itself is a simple story tune, a tale of lost love and never-ending heartbreak, themes which tend to define country music. It’s beautifully written and when performed by Jones at his best, it is devastating in its anguished simplicity.
Perfection.
So, with the top spot locked up, I am on a quest for the second best country song of all time.
Why?
Why not?
It just seems like something that someone should do.
Call (706-272-7735), e-mail (jimmyespy@daltoncitizen.com) or fax (706-275-6641) me your nominations. You can also call Today’s Forum (706-272-7748) or zip over to my blog, espysoutpost@blogspot.com to leave your nominations.
Before you bother I will admit to being hugely prejudiced toward older songs written by people who look like they might have been beaten up a few times ... and not by their big sisters.
For instance, a philandering Willie Nelson was once sewed up in his bedsheets by an ex-wife who took the opportunity to beat him with a broom handle.
That’s the kind of life experience that leads to writing a great country song.
Merle Haggard spent time in San Quentin.
That’s the kind of life experience that leads to writing a great country song.
Hank Williams had marital problems, a drinking problem, a pill problem and health problems.
That’s the kind of life experience that leads to a writing a great country song.
Getting extra credit in my grading system are songs that include dead people/horses/dogs, bank robberies, bourbon, hookers and of course, love gone bad.
Bluegrass and mountain music are included in this competition and if you’re not sure a favorite tune is country enough, toss it on the pile anyway and I’ll try to keep an open mind
Hope to hear from you soon.

Jimmy Espy is executive editor of The Daily Citizen.

2 comments:

Mark Williams said...

Best country songs ever are:
If I Needed You, Townes Van Zandt
Pancho and Lefty, Townes Van Zandt
Sing Me Back Home, Merle Haggard
The Grand Tour, George Jones
To Daddy, Dolly Parton
Hands on the Wheel, Willie Nelson
Loving her was easier than anything I'll ever do again, Kris Kristofferson
I can't Help if I'm still in love with you, Hank Williams
Desperadoes Waiting on Train, Guy Clark
Dallas, Jimmie Dale Gilmore
All Just to Get to You, Joe Ely
Never Mind, Harlan Howard
The Side of the Road, Lucinda Williams
Easy From Now On, Emmylou Harris
Til I Can Gain Control AGain, Rodney Crowell
We'll Sweep out the ashes in the morning, Gram Parsons and Emmylou
Don't Take her, she's all I've got - Johnny Paycheck
It's only make believe - Conway Twitty
Behind Closed Doors, Charlie Rich
Jackson, Johnny and June

Jimmy Espy said...

A great, great list. Our tastes are awful similar but I would HAVE to include Hank's "Rambling Man" and how can you have a list without Johnny Cash and Waylon?