Friday, November 27, 2009

Back in the day ... spook shows

I just finished the non-fiction book "Ghostmasters" by Mark Walker.
It's about the old traveling "ghost" or "spook" shows that used to play in theaters across the country. Their heyday was probably the 1940-50s but many were still out on the road into the late 1970s.
I saw one of these shows in Summerville when I was a kid. I wish my memory on this night was better. There are a lot of details I've forgotten, including the name of the show.
But I do remember that the movie they featured was Roman Polanski's "The Fearless Vampire Slayers."
Also, they did some skits with monsters threatening the crowd. Unlike in the old days when this kind of stuff was done during "blackout," the show I saw utilized strobe lights to give the monsters an eerie, threatening look.
The show came at the end of the spook show cycle (early-mid 70s) and I'm sure it was a low budget affair, but I remember a good, lively crowd and having a ball myself.
Anyhow, if any of y'all have a similar story to tell I'd love to hear it.
Write me.

No comments: