Saturday, May 24, 2008

Lessons to be learned

I spent a chunk of my Saturday afternoon in Ringgold at that fine burg's 1890s day celebration.
I hope some of our downtown business/government types were there too. Didn't see any, though.
Why?
Cause the people of Ringgold know how to throw a downtown wingding.
Granted they've been mounting this extravaganza for more than 30 years, but the people I talked with-- locals and out-of-towners like myself -- had nothing but good things to say about the annual event.
1890s Days kicks off on Friday and rolls through Saturday evening like a John Deere tractor plowing a straight line. It's fun.
Get this, the local gendarmes act like they're happy your in their town. The cops are right out there on the streets, efficiently keeping the criminal element at bay, while at the same time helping the crowds along the way, smiling at folks and issuing the occasional "Howdy" to familiar faces. Smooth.
Vendors are polite. Some of them are selling junk and some are selling treasures (sort of) and since one man's garbage is another man's highly collectible item, no one seems to be complaining.
They close off Hwy. 41, neatly blocking off downtown, and ram their parade right through there on Saturday afternoon. Not on a side street. Not some cockamamie roundabout route.
Straight through downtown. As God intended. Apparently it's worked for 34 years.
Food and merchandise booths line the street. They continue to do business as the parade passes. It's a little bit of a squeeze, but folks are polite.
An emcee entertained the crowd over a loudspeaker, announcing each parade participant -- naming names and cracking wise. He seemed to be enjoying the show and darned if that didn't make me enjoy it a little more too.
A stage at the county courthouse, was a central gathering spot, as people were drawn to the shade trees, ample seating on the courthouse lawn and the entertainment. It was right out of Mayberry. Gospel and bluegrass were big draws.
Truth be told, my Ringgold excursion was "on the clock," part of a commitment to a magazine article. But it turned out to be a lot of fun, as the hundreds of smiling people around me confirmed as they strolled along, laughed with their neighbors and spent money on whatever grabbed their eye.
I'm glad I went. I'll be back.
I hope some other folks from here made the trip, too.

No comments: