Sunday, August 30, 2009

Movies-The Klansman

I haven't been doing many of my mini-reviews lately but sometimes a film comes along that is either so good or so bad that it's my duty to mention it.
The Klansman (1974) is one of the latter.
I don't know what the worst things about ths picture is. The acting is bad and it's not just by the performers (Linda Evans, Lola Falana, Cameron Mitchell) you would expect to be shaky. In fact, the work turned in by Lee Marvin and Richard Burton(!) make OJ Simpson's turn as Defiant Young Black Man look like Oscar material. And can anyone tell me why they cast Luciana Paluzzi as a southern woman and then dubbed her voice with Dixie Carter (I think).
This is basically an overblown exploitation film. The script is so stunningly one-track and bereft of subtlety that you have to laugh. Even a veteran director like Terence Young seems overwhelmed by the sheer stupidity of this thing.
One of my favorite bits is the fight between Richard Burton and Cameron Mitchell in a bus station. One-armed Richard uses absurdly inept little judo chops to wallop hulking Cam, who at a key point takes a totally illogical sideways tumble over some luggage and onto a stuntman's air mattress that no one bothered too conceal.
Did anybody here have any pride at all or was everyone just looking for a big payday to cover their coke habits.
As a southerner I could be very offended by this film.
As a human being I could be very offended by this film.
Instead, as a southern, human being who loves movies, I choose to marvel at its ineptitude.
They don't make them quite like this anymore! At least I hope not.

No comments: