Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Braves

Braves arbitration moves. Garrett Anderson was clearly a one-year signing and he did a solid job.
Getting back either Soriano or Gonzalez would be a plus, but as the article says neither is likely to accept a one-year deal. I am not convinced either is a real closer. Gonzalez gets hurt too much and Soriano has consistency problems, though he can look great for awhile.
Not making an offer to LaRoche puzzles me. He provides some badly needed pop and his fielding has improved a lot since his first stint with the Braves. He was the team's MVP after arriving last year.
However, LaRoche has a history of starting the season disastrously. Are the Braves wary of paying good bucks to a half-season all star? Are they thinking of moving Chipper over and finding a third basemen with more range? (Not a bad idea.) Or is the budget just too tight?
Whatever the reason, if LaRoche leaves the Braves will have to find another veteran big bat. It would be a huge mistake to count too heavily on super prospect Jason Heyward.
Remember the name Joe Crede.

3 comments:

jw said...

My worry is more about Billy Wagner and his arm - a penthouse to outhouse player - makes me wonder how that arm is going to hold up - to me Soriano is expendable (way too many blown saves for a closer)and keep Gonzalez as the set up guy - LaRoche may have been more than we could afford for his production - he and Cox kind of battled a little because of the ADD thing a couple of years ago - wonder if Bobby saw through some of that stuff and didn't want to take that chance again - it being his final season -

When do we get the Barbara Walters interview about the newspaper thing? - I'm very curious - I thought you did an excellent job trying to use humor to calm the savage beasts and was very fair in bringing to light some of the political issues that back door small town politics bring - I wish you well - you took the public beatings very well and seemed to understand that it went with the territory! I have a very good friend that is the editor of his local newspaper and your styles are very similar and I really enjoyed the Sunday articles about regular life and 'stuff'. Wish the community would realize that we really aren't as 'big city' (borrowing a line from Andy Griffith)as we like to think -

Good luck - the community has lost a good one!

Jimmy Espy said...

Baseball ... I followed Soriano in Seattle and saw that he could never never quite make the cut as the closer, though he has great stuff. He is a lot like Fernando Rodney in Detroit. Wagner's arm problems have to worry you, but I assume the Braves docs poked and prodded him pretty good.
In today's market LaRoche wouldn't be overpaid at $7 million per but he just stinks in the first half. He can help put a team put of contention and THEN get his numbers.
---
Losing my job at The Daily Citizen was a huge blow to me personally and professionally. I did not deserve to lose my job and am responding to the situation appropriately. At this point I still can't discuss it in any detail but at some point I may well be able to talk freely about the situation.
I loved the job and the town. I worked my ass off and the paper prospered in many ways (32 awards in 2009) under me. I thought that meant a lot to the people in charge. My mistake.

rodney purvis said...

Jason Heyward looks like the real deal, and the Braves might have the next superstar on their hands. I read that the reason he dropped so far in the 2007 MLB Draft was because he got pitched around throughout high school and scouts couldnt get a good look at him.