Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Words

Mr. Espy meet Mr. Reacher.
Apparently author Lee Child has been knocking out this fine Jack Reacher series for a long time. So, why didn't somebody tell me sooner?
I picked up "Gone Tomorrow," the 13th in the Reacher line, from the book club recently and was absorbed with the story from start to finish.
Our hero, a highly trained former military operative with a high pain threshold very independent streak, witnesses a suicide on New York subway. The horrible event turns out to be even more alarming than originally thought, as Jack Reacher is inexorably pulled deeper into a convoluted and bloodthirsty mishmash of foreign intrigue and Patriot Act-era paranoia.
The story keeps you guessing and Reacher is a highly entertaining guide through this desolate landscape of betrayals and bushwhackings.
If I had any money I'd get the other 12 books in the series ASAP. Instead I'll pick them up at a more leisurely, economical pace and enjoy them like a rare bottle of wine.

2 comments:

Mark Williams said...

I just read my first of his books - Tripwire. It was pretty good. I'll check some more out. then I started on a David Baldacci novel and threw it away after about 60 pages. How did that guy sell millions of books? It read like a fifth-grader wrote it. Now i'm reading my first Robert Parker novel.

Jimmy Espy said...

The earlier, leaner Parker novels are the best. Godwulf Manuscript and that era. The recent ones read like they were written on a long weekend in the Hamptons.
If you are new to the series the dialog and brisk pace of the newer ones is fun, but Parker veterans know when he's on cruise control.
He puts more into his westerns than Spenser these days.