Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Comics

During a weekend trip to Northeast Georgia with four old buddies I finished "Watchmen" by Alan Moore (writer) and Dave Gibbons (artist). I like the graphic novel format and loved Moore's "From Hell" series. "Watchmen" has been described as the ultimate graphic novel and of course the movie is debuting this weekend.
Unfortunately, I was not overwhelmed by the book. I liked it. Moore is an imaginative, daring writer and artist Gibbons is a terrific penciller.
My biggest complaint is that no one in this story seems to ever shut up. There is tons of yak yak yak and not enough action.
Moore uses the superhero comics format and an alternate universe Earth to explore some interesting historical and moral issues, but for me it was too much of a not-always-good thing.
Moore's series stretched over 12 comic book issues and the sheer length of the story is a grind at some points, though a major sub-plot involving a grim and gory "pirate tale" is a welcome relief.
"Watchmen" is a very entertaining, challenging read but for my money "From Hell" is Moore at his best.

No comments: