Saturday, March 14, 2009

My Sunday column

I never ate a cookie from the Davis Bake Shop or munched on a Chow Burger from Chow Time. According to readers, my life is poorer for it.
Last week’s column about “places we miss” brought a great response.
Let’s reminisce ...
Numerous callers spoke glowingly of that “little corner of heaven” in Bry-Man’s Plaza called the Davis Bake Shop. Susan lauded the “wonderful brownies.” Other callers/writers bragged about the cakes, the cookies and the aroma.
The U.S. Cafe had a lot of happy customers. It was fondly remembered by many callers.
David Chance misses “the old Cream-O” and the hamburger steaks at the Chat and Chow.
I’m really sorry I never got to board The Shrimp Boat on Emory, across from the Green Spot. My caller said the seafood was excellent and the restaurant was built in the shape of a boat, which you entered by gang plank. When my co-worker Wes Chance didn’t remember this one, I thought maybe someone was pulling my lariat. But other locals verified its existence.
David called in to lament the too-early demise of a Miami-based chain called Lum’s. “Hot dogs steamed in beer and and beer served in chilled mugs.” As Grandpa Jones used to get ‘em to say, “Yum, yum!”
Several callers sang the praises of the old Cherokee Drive-In. It was “a good place for courting your husband-to-be,” one said.
The chow burger at Chow Time also seems to have been a favorite. Apparently it was also “a good place to see everybody’s car.”
Rodney McConkey, who I assume is a fellow Summer-ville transplant, scolded me for not mentioning Troy’s Drive-In and Toles Drive-In in our hometown. At 47. I may be just under the age to have enjoyed those establishments, but my older and bulkier family members still speak fondly of them. I do feel bad about not mentioning the A&W Drive-In at Trion, where I ate the best chili dogs ever made.
A little closer to home, my mom worked at a fine restaurant in Pennville (between Trion and Sumerville) called The Round Table. The owner was a good guy and ran a super restaurant. He would drive to South Georgia to buy fresh seafood and his fried shrimp was as good as any you overpaid for on the coast.
The A&W in Dalton also had its fans. That root beer is hard to forget.
Restaurants weren’t the only businesses to be missed.
The C&M Grocery in Dawnville was one caller’s favorite spot.
“My kids loved that store.” she said. “The owners were James and Louise Jones and they had the best hand-dipped ice cream.”
Fraker’s Hardware and McLellan’s 5 & 10 were cited by Dr. Ellen Thompson, who also put in a good word for the Davis Bake Shop (that name again!).
Jane Harrell (and Superman) wants to know what happened to all the pay telephone booths?
Several folks, including Brian Jones, mentioned Jimmy’s, the popular restaurant and bar, that closed a few years ago.
Richard Edwards had his favorites, including the Star Cafe (“just across the tracks”), Bob’s Waffle Shop (for breakfast) and Owens’s Pharmacy for the “cherry Cokes and slaw dogs.” Richard also saluted Camp and Duffy’s Sausage, which he says discriminating Daltonians insisted on.
The Mitchells said Papa John’s Seafood on Glenwood had “the best fried shrimp in town.” They also liked Chow Time and the Davis Bakery.
Ron and Judy Parker stumped me with Harold’s Taco Hacienda, which they say served “the best deep-fried chocolate burrito” ever. Rudolph’s Pizza got their thumbs up, as did Chow Time.
Teresa Hambright seconded that plug for Rudolph’s Pizza, as did several other callers.
James Busie was a fan of Kenny Rogers Roasters and joined me in my admiration for Po Folks, particularly the all-you-can-eat country fried steak and gravy. He also spoke well of the old Yellow Deli on Selvedge Street. The hippie-dippy ennui charmed him and the banana milk was outstanding. Another caller seconded the high marks for the Yellow Deli.
One other thing I miss from back in the day was that big, old green house that used to be across the street from The Daily Citizen office on Thornton. When I was a poor sports writer here in the 1980s, I told myself I would come back one day, that I would be rich and that I would buy that house. Well, 20 years later I’m definitely not rich and a bank bought that cool crib and tore it down. But the part about coming back came true and for that I am glad.

Jimmy Espy is executive editor of The Daily Citizen. He blogs at Espysoutpost.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to talk about walking ten laps around the track at Dowdy Park and then eating two double cheeseburgers at Huddle House afterward.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Anonymous said...

Although A&W was a great memory, whooo, those cold frosty mugs..... my parents always took us to Dairy King, which, if I remember correctly, was in Trion close to A&W. Ice Cream on Sunday was the ticket.... Sorry, hope I'm right on the location. It's been a LOT of years.