Saturday, March 21, 2009

Football

Dalton's Jalen Fields may sign with Georgia today. I saw Jalen two years ago, watched him for about 10 plays and told the man next to me "that's a college football player." He had good size then and the frame to add more weight, which has happened. But the thing impressed me most was his quickness. Serious quicks.
Watching him play at DHS has been a little disappointing. The physical skills are obvious, obvious enough to have top college programs drooling. But Jalen's production rarely matches his ability. He doesn't make as many plays as you would expect. How much of that is system, I don't know.
Jalen's dad Patrick was a standout tailback at Southeast, a powerful, bruising runner who pounded opponents. He's also a smart man who has worked hard to keep his son focused.
That's bound to pay off.
I hope Jalen tears it up his senior year.
It's good to see a local kid with a chance to play at the SEC level.

No comments: