Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Gangs: Just wondering

Is the threat of gangs in Dalton overblown?
Not if you ask some people. They'll make it sound like this town is being run by gang warlords who have the law abiding folk cowering in their homes.
Don't get me wrong. I know that gangs can become a very serious problem, but I wonder how many local people have actually had a run-in of any kind with a gang.
I know the graffiti is annoying. But is it a major problem?
Of course I recognize the death of Andre Johnson last year was gang-related, but it remains an isolated, though terrible, incident.
There is a serious gang presence in this town but the business of those fellows isn't harassing old ladies, it's moving large amounts of illegal drugs. The fewer problems they have with law enforcement the better for them.
I may well be wrong, but at this stage is "the gang problem" really affecting many people?
Not that it couldn't in the future. But what about now?

3 comments:

Andy said...

The threat of Gangs in Dalton may be overblown. Im sure the threat is higher in certain sections of town and most residents are aware of these areas and avoid them. Gang awareness makes a good political play because our Sheriff can't seem to speak tactfully about the issue. I have never had a run-in with any gang activity. But I am not worried because I am insured by Smith & Wesson

Anonymous said...

You don't have real gangs in Dalton. Trust me. I've lived in areas that do.

You do have a lot of kids that like to dress like gangbangers and hang out together, probably smoke some dope. They tag a lot of things, maybe commit some petty crimes. But for the most part that's it.

Now, the problem is that some of these guys, maybe fueled by some illicit substances, can let their fantasies get away with them and that can lead to trouble. I've got a feeling that's what happened with Andre Johnson.

But these guys wouldn't last five minutes in Compton or the South Side of Chicago.

Jimmy Espy said...

Actually we do have real heavyweight gang presence in Dalton. The feds and local law enforcement are in agreement on that. What we don't have is the "street dominance" of gangs you see in an LA or Chicago. The real gangs are interested in selling drugs and making lots of money. The small timers you refer to are mostly a nuisance ... now.