Wednesday, July 2, 2008

NRA misfire

I'm a member of the NRA -- unless my membership has lapsed -- and I support most of the organizations's efforts. But, as a member -- assuming my membership hasn't lapsed -- why do I have to be subjected to the big poohbah's Wayne LaPierre's rants?
Periodically every NRA members gets a call with "an urgent message from Wayne." Inevitably Wayne's "urgent message" works in Hillary Clinton, Ted Kennedy and Carrot Top and a plea for money. OK, just kidding about Carrot Top.
Wayne points to some piece of looming legislation and then shrilly and desperately begs for my support in defeating the latest One World-Clintonista scheme to disarm everyone but 50 Cent and Barbra Streisand's bodyguards.
Don't get me wrong. I appreciate a timely heads up on important legislation, but the way Wayne starts talking reminds me of the crazy Air Force in "Dr. Straneglove." You know, Col. Ripper, the one convinced the Russkies had sapped his "precious bodily fluids."
I can't even make it through these messages anymore. Instead of arguing with the determined young person who gets me on the line for Wayne's rant, I agree to listen and then hang up five seconds into the frenzied spiel.
The NRA needs to understand that not all its membership needs to have red meat waved in its face to want to eat.
Calm down, fellers.
Most of the time reason is on your side, so try being reasonable.

No comments: