Friday, July 25, 2008

Highway Song (a tune of the blues)

I have lost faith in I-75.
It dawned on me on my way to Cartersville on Thursday. Somewhere in northern Bartow or southern Gordon County the three busy lanes of southbound traffic came to a stop.
Car wreck?
Road work?
UFO crash?
Who the heck knows and who the heck cares?
Just file it in with all the other north/south trips marred by a transportation system that seems to come unglued in a moment's notice.
Last Saturday I took my family to the Braves' game. We almost made it without an incident, but then ran smack dab into the maw of "work on the downtown connector" which has been going on for awhile now. The city of Atlanta saw fit to map out a detour for those of us heading somewhere int he city, but of course the detour is badly marked and confusing as all get out. My favorite part was the detour directional signs that a tree branch was growing in front of and blocking. Apparently, no one on the city payroll of Atlanta has the brains or will to cut the dang limbs off.
Traveling north to Chattanooga is also an adventure. Does there always have to be a problem problem somewhere between here and there?
I remember when trouble on the interstate was a surprise. Now, the only surprise is when I can make it from Point A to Point B without beating my head against the dashboard in frustration.
Gen. Eisenhower would not be happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I left home at 4 a.m. a year and a half ago for a 9 a.m. appointment in Atlanta.

Things went great at first. I made great time and was thinking I'm left way, way too earl.

Then somewhere around Acworth traffic came to a complete stop. I sat there for hours, moved a little bit, sat some more, etc.

I found out on the radio that two separate things were going on. someone had decided to run out in traffic on the interstate and commit suicide. And about the time they finally cleared that up. Somebody else decided to move a double-wide trailer on the interstate, which is against the law, I'm told.

Long story shory, I get to my appointment at about 9:30.