Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Calhoun Magazine column

Hank Williams Jr. has asked the question a thousand times.
“Are you ready for some football?” bellows Bocephus.
And every time I answer “Yes,” Yes!”
It’s that time again.
Across the civilized world young men (and a handful of young women) are strapping on the pads and running into each other at high speed.
They’re running and jumping sweating and stinking.
What could be more fun?
Not much in my life.
I played football as a youth and was pretty darn good at it. I was a rangy pass rushing demon who could almost singlehandedly shut down the run — at least until junior high, when I begin to require the assistance of my teammates.
(Possibly my skills have grown somewhat since I actually played. The mind does play tricks).
When asked as a kid what I wanted to do when I grew up, I did not hesitate, ”Play left defensive end for the Los Angeles Rams.”
Not the Falcons.
Not the Steelers.
Never the Cowboys.
Only the Rams, just like my hero, the great Jack Youngblood. You may remember Youngblood, a Hollywood handsome Hall of Famer who spent his Sunday afternoons chasing Staubach and Tarkenton all over the field.
My budding NFL career was derailed in high school. Heart disease was the culprit.
Despite a faulty ticker, I “finessed” my way back on the team my senior year, only to be found out and booted from the squad a week before the season opener.
My teammates, some of whom remain my closest friends, dedicated that game to me.
Then, they lost it.
I don’t know if that says more about them or me.
The issue of Calhoun Magazine you’re holding (or reading on the Internet) isn’t just about football. There are some non-gridiron stories in here and I’m sure you’ll enjoy them, too.
But as our cover shows, football is the theme of this issue.
Multi-dimensional Marty Kirkland contributed our main cover story, a profile of former Yellow Jacket standout Kris Durham. If the Georgia Bulldogs deliver on their enormous promise this season, Durham should be in the middle of things, hauling in passes from future NFLer Matthew Stafford.
Calhoun High coach Hal Lamb talked with our crafty veteran Larry Fleming about growing up in a “football family”and about the terrific success he has enjoyed at CHS. Lamb, by the way, was a nifty wide receiver at West Georgia at the same time I was dominating the flag football league at the same school.
(Again, the passage of time may have inflated my on-field exploits).
“Deep Threat” Doug Hawley, who many of you know from his days with the Calhoun Times, pitched in two good stories this issue.
Doug talked to former Gordon Central star lineman Barry Hall and former Yellow Jacket standout Riley Gunnels about their days in the NFL.
Hall spent time with three NFL teams and has returned to Gordon Central where he is serving as offensive coordinator and offensive line coach for his alma mater.
Gunnels played on an NFL championship team and logged time with the Philadelphia Eagles and the Pittsburgh Steelers. He now lives in New Jersey.
I hope this special “football edition” of Calhoun Magazine will score a TD with readers. It’s been a lot of fun to put together.

Jimmy Espy is editor of Calhoun magazine. He writes a daily blog (espysoutpost.blogspot.com) and can be reached at jimmyespy@daltoncitizen.com or by phone at (706) 272-7735.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had the same career goal in my youth, except I wanted to play linebacker for the Rams. Jack Youngblood was my favorite player too. Most other fans of most other teams always picked the QB as their favorite player, but it was hard to like the Rams QBs back then -- they'd either last a year & then gas out or they'd play like my grandmother in the playoffs vs. the evil Vikings or Cowboys. I also wrote a fan letter to Lawrence McCutcheon when I was about 9 years old -- he was pretty much the offense in those days.