Friday, August 15, 2008

A trip to the movies

Carmike Cinemas in Dalton has a new facility under construction. You can see it in back of the Mall. It's a stand alone building and will be a nice movie palace I suspect.
And it's long overdue.
The current facility is a mess, worn out from years of use and lack of adequate repair.
During "The Dark Night" this week, the actors' dialogue competed with the rumbling of what sounded like a giant turbine on the roof. This was no small problem considering the way Christian Bale mumbled his lines when in cowl. I guess it was the air conditioning unit, but several times I felt like an engineer that fateful day at Chernobyl when everything went kablooey.
Also for much of the flick I kept hearing a high pitched squeaking to my left. I assumed it was coming from one of the speakers. Oh no.
Turns out it was coming from two seats away where one of my cinematic compatriots couldn't put 2 and 2 together and figure out that it was the chair he kept bouncing around in that was making the sound.
Ahhhhhhhh!
These things might not bother me as much if I had not put down $8 for a ticket and $9.35 ($9.35!!!!!) for a medium Coke and a small bag of popcorn.
For $17.35 I should get a better move going experience.

No comments: