Sunday, August 3, 2008

The wings? The wings?

I have it on good authority that Lizzi's Deli has closed. We will be looking into this tragedy, but if it is true, let me be the first to let out a public scream of rage.
Where will I get wings that good?
I have a hundred memories of Lizzi's -- a handful of which are printable in a family newspaper environment -- and I am sure other folks do too.
Back in my first Dalton tour -- in the mid-late 1980s -- Lizzi's was my favorite watering hole by a mile. Cheap beer and great conversation. as well as some really good food.
It was a fun place to eat and the owner Jamil Ibrahim and big family were a joy to do business with. Hard to believe those kids are all adults now and moved away.
When I came back here to live in 2000, Jamil treated me like I had never left. A dozen wings and a cold one made a lot of afternoons better.
Hopefully this will all turn out to be some kind of cruel prank and I will be writing a correction of this piece by tomorrow. But I fear not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forget the wings. Where am I going to find a falafel in Dalton now?

Anonymous said...

Oh my. Jimmy, please don't tell my sweetie about this, he'll be heartbroken... Lizzi's, IHOP, Shoney's, Moe’s and the Oakwood practically kept him alive.

Jimmy Espy said...

Tell Zeechie to give us a call and we'll commiserate over Lizzi's and Skip Caray.